Followers

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

My New Job

As a sport management major, I am required to have a internship at some form of sports facility, company, or team. Having a home town of Columbus, Ohio you would think finding a internship to fit that category to be easy. Well, you would be wrong. I spent hours in front of my laptop searching for internships, filling out applications and then repeating the process. I made calls, had interviews and spent a lot of gas doing so. One thing I never expected in how particular sports internships in Columbus were.

Finally, I decided to outsource my efforts to other cities including: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Toledo and Lima. Within one week I got an email from a friend and old teammate, DJ. He was the general manager at Apex Sports Zone in Lima, Ohio and he told me to come in and talk with him. Now Apex is a sports facility that does everything from sports leagues to birthday parties. It is also owned by an ONU facility member and one of my professors, which is really cool.

Image result for apex sports

Long story short, DJ offered me the internship for the summer but he also offered me a side job for the rest of the year which was really nice. Every Saturday they host a youth flag football league and I have the privilege to referee the games.

It is not a hard job, besides dealing with grumpy parents and the occasionally rowdy kid. Other than that it is a great way to keep active for myself, be a part of the game I love and make some money.

My internship itself is really interesting. Basically I am a facility manager and run multiple things at once. One minute I am helping work the concession stand and help around the facility with guest needs and the next I am secluding customers and getting sponsorship's or helping with youth players practices. Personally, I believe it is going to be a great experience and I am really excited to see what I learn. 

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like a really cool opportunity, I'm glad you found something cool like this to do. I have been to the Apex Sports Facility a few times and it is an awesome place!

    ReplyDelete